Friday, January 25, 2013

The Fortune Quilt - Fun Read Friday

The Fortune Quilt
by Lani Diane Rich
Genre: Romance, Humor

     This. Was. Hilarious! At one point I got the giggles so completely that my brother actually felt the need to check that I didn't accidentally take too much of my pain medication.

     While not necessarily a non-believer of psychics, Carly is wary of the many shamans who use hoaxes and tricks to bilk believers. When assigned to interview a woman who makes quilts that can predict the future, Carly thinks the woman is just using it as an angle to sell her product, until her own reading begins to come true.

     Author Lani Diane Rich uses one of the best analogies that I've ever heard for why sometimes life can turn to crap. Instead of mollifying that fate has a reason, or to have faith that it is part of God's plan, one of the characters compares it to knitting. Sometimes you make a mistake and continuing on from that point only compounds the original error until you get to the point where you need to rip out the stitches until you are back to a place before the error occurred and you can begin again. I can look back in life to where I have reflected that my life is right back where it had been 5 or 10 years previously, and this analogy just clicked for me and made sense.

     This story is definitely a PYOL. All of the people that I recommended it to have sent me some nasty texts and emails complaining about a very unproductive day because they just could not tear themselves away from this book once they started reading it.

I give it PYOL review graphic my personal PYOL rating!

No comments:

Post a Comment