Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Night Chill by Jeff Gunhus - Featured Author Book Review

book cover art of Night Chill by Jeff Gunhus Night Chill
by Jeff Gunhus
Book 1 in Night Chill series
Genres: Horror, Paranormal,
   Suspense, Fantasy

     I see a lot of book synopses that claim works by lesser known authors are King-like or that their writing style is similar to Koontz. I always take these with a grain of salt. But in this case, it is very true. The plot was so deeply layered and well thought out I was half expecting a scene where someone spots Pennywise while driving through Derry, or of someone eating a bologna and Bermuda onion sandwich (has anyone else noticed King's character's obsession with this sandwich?), or that Jack was committed to Juniper Hill Asylum because this book does have that amazing degree of creepiness that Stephen King has perfected. Then again, there IS a yellow lab, which reminds me of the golden retriever which Koontz often has traipsing through his plots.

     This is a dangerous book of "one more". One more chapter and I'll do the laundry. One more chapter before I start dinner. One more chapter and I'll call and order a pizza delivery. One more chapter ... eh, the kids are old enough to make themselves a sandwich when they get hungry. Be prepared to have a very unproductive day because this book is incredibly fast paced and there is no good place to set it down and walk away. I was constantly wanting to find out what would happen next and was not disappointed. There were quite a few editing errors but the storyline more than made up for the annoyance.

     During September you can buy Night Chill and also preorder the sequel Night Terror from Amazon for only 99¢

I give it PYOL review graphic my personal PYOL rating!

No comments:

Post a Comment