Monday, April 8, 2013

Bubba and the Dead Woman

book cover art for Bubba and the Dead Woman by CL Bevill Bubba and the Dead Woman
Bubba Snoddy #1
by C.L. Bevill
Genres: Mystery, Humor, Suspense

     This is a perfect example of why you should never judge a book by its cover, or its title. The cover art isn't flashy or too terribly eye catching. The title is hardly promising a classy novel that will be discussed in the best social circles. But this book is Funny. Bubba is your fairly typical good ol' southern boy born and raised in Texas. But that is where the normalcy ends. His mother operates a weekly floating poker game and claims to have killed her late husband, in many different ways. An intruder breaks into their southern plantation home while wearing a sheet and pretending to be a ghost. There is so much more that befalls poor Bubba, he just is not having a very good week at all.

     There is a line in this book that made me laugh out loud and text it to my daughter to share it with her. Bubba is often having to apologize and/or make excuses for his mama. At one point he gets so exasperated with her orneriness that he simply replies "Don't mind her, she's just mad because someone dropped a house on her sister."

     While I did figure out whodunnit before the end of the book, there is one piece of evidence that led me astray to suspect someone else first. This helps to make this book a bit more sophisticated within its plot while it still remains a fairly light and humorous read, perfect to curl up with to relax on the weekend.

     Editing errors are rampant, I wouldn't even attempt to guess at how many but I did get caught up in the story enough that I was able to overlook them without shaking my head too much. This book is definitely put into the "More" folder of my kindle because I would love to read more of this series.

I give it 4 star review graphic 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment