Sunday, July 7, 2013

Gone Home - Book Review

book cover art for Gone Home by Kim Welsman Gone Home
by Kim Welsman
Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy

     This book is a sequel to Welsman's Going Home. To give a little background, the main character, Peggy, is of the alien race that lives on the planet Sylax. She was genetically created and not conceived in the usual way. She is often the victim of racism because of the difference in her creation and psychic abilities. In the first book, Peggy had been sent on a mission to Earth. This book reveals to us little bits of information about that mission and tells of Peggy's conflict to convince the Sylaxian Council to allow Earthers to serve on the council, now that she has returned home and reported of her findings on Earth.

     This was a highly entertaining story. Most likely, I would have gotten a lot more out of it if I had read the first book in the series as there were a couple of things that I found confusing. I'm not sure if it was the usual "its an alien world and things are going to be different and confusing" type of thing or if the items that had left me perplexed had been explained in the first book, but I had missed out on these clarifications.

     This book was refreshingly easy to read as I do not recall spotting any errors that pulled my concentration away from the story itself. The characters possess a very deep and complex history, as do the race of aliens that we are introduced to within this series. A very creative plot and a suitable book for some light reading this summer. I highly recommend it to all fans of science fiction and those interested in stories of life on other planets.

I give it 4 star review graphic 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment