Thursday, February 9, 2012

Little Women - First Impressions

book cover art of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott Little Women
by Louisa May Alcott
Genre: Classic, Young Adult, Children

     I know that I have read this before. My grandmother had given me a beautifully bound book with the entire trilogy in it when I was just knee high to a grasshopper. She had given me the book after Little Women had been read by my class in grade school. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I hadn't really cared for the story and I doubt that I bothered to read the other stories. I remember nothing about this book, not even why I hadn't liked it before.

     Four sisters are encouraged by their father, through letters while he is off to war, to conduct themselves as little women. Each girl takes a personal inventory of their defects of character and chooses one to work on. A very mature undertaking I must say, as the youngest is not quite school age, I think.

     I haven't really bonded with this book yet as, in the tradition of my facebook group reads, I have only read the first 5 chapters. I'm trying to keep an open mind and disregard any prejudices that I may have had the first time that I read it.

     As with most classics, this novel is within the public domain and available for download as a free ebook on both Amazon and Goodreads.

I give it 3 star review graphic 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment