Sunday, August 26, 2012

Lace by Shirley Conran - Review

book cover art for Lace by Shirley ConranLace
Book One of Series
by Shirley Conran
Genre: Romance

     Kate and Pagan are school friends from England who talk their parents into sending them to the same Swiss finishing school. There they meet Maxine, Kate's roommate who is from France. Judy, an American scholarship student at a language school nearby and works as a waitress to help pay for her schooling, rounds out this group of four girls who become tight knit friends through thick and thin. Can't forget Lilli, a gorgeous with a notorious past who was raised by a foster mother, separated from her foster family while escaping from behind the Iron Curtain, exploited horribly, and has tracked her real mother down to being one of these four women.

     This has always been one of my favorite stories since I was a young woman. It has one of THE most memorable lines in my history as a reader. The story follows these 5 characters through business success, their loves, and their losses. Be prepared to laugh, cry, and fall in love with some of the swarthy men in these women's lives.

     I was a little shocked when I recently reread it. There are a lot more sex scenes than I had remembered, and some were quite explicit. I would recommend this book to any woman, especially those who love romances. However, because of the fairly graphic sexual situations, I wouldn't be comfortable recommending it to anyone under 25.

     This is the first book in the Serial Sunday feature, part two of this series Lace II will be posted next Sunday.

I give it 5 star review graphic 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment