Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Fellowship of the Ring - Listen While You Work Book Review

What I listened to ...

The Fellowship of the Ring
by J.R.R. Tolkien
First book in The Lord of The Rings trilogy
Genres: Adventure, Classic,
   Fantasy, Young Adult
Narrator: Rob Inglis

     I really should have written these reviews as I finished each book. At this point I have finished the series and must admit that the three books are getting a bit jumbled in my mind as to where one book ended and the next began.

     Many years have passed since Bilbo has found the ring. He has never married to produce his own heir so has taken one of his young cousins under his wing. Little does young Frodo realize just how much this will change his life. Years pass. Frodo comes of age, which for hobbits takes many more years than for our own children. Bilbo decides it is now time to embark on another journey and hands the reins over to Frodo. Life becomes rather mundane for Frodo who misses his dear Bilbo greatly, until Gandolf shows up. Oh that Gandolf! He is good for stirring things up with all his darn quests.

     Again I have to remark on how much I enjoy this particular narrator. Inglis really helps to make the story come alive. With this audiobook I found that I may have not been too far off the mark with my initial assumption that having seen the movie The Hobbit would help with my ability to visualize the story as I listened to it. While I have seen The Lord of the Rings movies, it has been many, many years since having done so.

     The characters of the story are mostly lovable (aside from the Orcs and Black Riders of course) and the fantasy world that J.R.R. Tolkien has created for us has great reason to be such a cherished epic tales of so many generations of readers.

I give it 4 star review graphic 4 stars!

What I worked on ...

     For this book I just randomly selected a color and went to town with slippers. I have made so many of these that I can almost make them in my sleep and figured that the crochet pattern was simple enough that it would not distract me from the audiobook, a statement that I cannot make with the doll blanket squares that I made during The Hobbit.

No comments:

Post a Comment