Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Two Towers - Listen While You Work Book Review

What I listened to ...

cover art for audio book The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien The Two Towers
by J.R.R. Tolkien
Second book in The Lord of The Rings trilogy
Genres: Adventure, Classic,
   Fantasy, Young Adult
Narrator: Rob Inglis

     The Fellowship has parted. Sam and Frodo have embarked upon their own path. Frodo had opted to travel alone and not endanger the others in his company. Sam would not allow for his master to bear this cross without Sam by his side. Gandolf is ... well as usual, no one is quite sure just where Gandolf is, though many mourn him and believe him to be dead.

     I really had a hard time with this book and an even harder time with the review. I'm not sure if it is because of the fact that I was listening to the audiobook, the fact that it is the middle book of the series and I'm now having issues keeping the books straight in my mind as to where one book ended and the next picked up, or quite possibly it could just be the subject matter. I like fantasy and science fiction books, I do. However my logical mind has a hard time wrapping around some of the more fantastical concepts sometimes. I'm completely lost as to how or why Gandolf changes color, what the different colors imply, which color is better and why.

     Of course this confusion could be just one part of many that I happened to miss while a neighborhood dog was barking, the garbage truck was trundling past my house, or a neighbor was mowing their lawn. I never realized just how noisy my street was until I attempted to actually listen carefully to something. I am really enjoying this series, although I'm not entirely sure which I am enjoying more, the story itself or the fact that I can crochet while enjoying a book.

I give it 4 star review graphic 4 stars!

What I worked on ...

     Yup! I made more slippers. Because everyone needs slippers in the summer right? D'OH! OK, point taken, time to move on from the slippers and try to find another pattern that is equally simple but might actually be useful in the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment