Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Anticipations - Featured Author Review

book cover art for Social Anticipations by H.G. Wells Anticipations
by H.G. Wells
Genre: Nonfiction, History

     I like to shake things up and review at least one book by a featured author that is not within the genre that they are best known for. I thought it would be interesting to read this nonfiction novel that was penned by H.G. Wells. This book was published under several titles: Anticipations of the Reactions of Mechanical and Scientific Progress upon Human Life and Thought, Wells' Social Anticipations, and simply Anticipations. In this book Wells gives us his predictions as to where he sees the world headed by the year 2000. Many reviews that I have read for this book proclaim that many of Wells' prophecies were dead on the mark, while some were almost humorous that he was so far off base.

     I'll admit that this book went way over my head. My knowledge of world history and politics makes it hard for me to judge for myself as to whether these predictions have come true. Most of the hypothesis given were so ambiguous that I had no idea what he was talking about at all. I did find his description of the house of tomorrow quite interesting and wish that some of his ideas were in use today.

     Personally I found this text quite dry, uninteresting, and disappointing. Readers with more knowledge of science and world events than I have, probably would find it much more fascinating than I did.

I give it 2 star review graphic 2 stars.

     As with most classics, this novel is within the public domain and available for download as a free ebook on both Amazon and Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment