Friday, March 1, 2013

Flashback Friday - The Count of Monte Cristo

cover art of The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas The Count of Monte Cristo
by Alexandre Dumas
Genre: Classic, Historical Fiction

     Some books are worth reading over and over again. Granted, if there was a surprise plot twist, you aren't going to have that feeling of awe during the re-read. However, a lot of times I pick up new details that didn't seem important on the first read but on the second time around facts will click in my head as my excuse for a brain realizes just how this small piece of information fits into the big picture. Somehow it would feel like cheating to review the same book a second time or to just copy and paste my original review into a new post and attempt to make it all new and sparkly again. For those who have just found this site and haven't looked through my archives (seriously does anyone read the complete archive of a blog?) I have decided to periodically highlight certain books that I have reviewed in the past, that just HAVE TO be read, at least once in life, if not more.

     Because this book is well over 1000 pages and was one of the first books that I reviewed for this blog, I had several posts with different comments and observations as I worked my way through the book. The first was the First Impression post. I kind of miss having these posts. Sometimes it was quite interesting when I gave a first impression of a book which was a bit lukewarm but I ended up loving the book by the time I finished it.

     I also wrote a Then and Now post where I compare different similarities or differences between modern times and those detailed within classic books.

     Midway through the book I wrote the post And the Plot Thickens and last but certainly not least, a link to my review. This is one of those books that I read simply because everyone says it is really good. It is also one of the few stories that lives up to all the hype. Get it, read it, love it. Nuff said.

I give it 5 star review graphic 5 stars!

     As with most classics, this novel is within the public domain and available for download as a free ebook on both Amazon and Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment