Sunday, March 17, 2013

Socs and Greasers - Book Review

Socs and Greasers: Behind The Scenes of The Outsiders from Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe Socs and Greasers: Behind The Scenes of The Outsiders from Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends
by Rob Lowe
Genres: Nonfiction, Autobiography

     This short book actually appears to be an excerpt from Rob Lowe's autobiography and regales us with behind the scene stories from the making of The Outsiders. Even if they hadn't already read and enjoyed S.E. Hinton's book, every red blooded American teenaged girl loved this movie. As yet undiscovered actors: Tom Cruise, Ralph Macchio, C. Thomas Howell, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez. Add to this list the slightly older but still incredibly hot Patrick Swayze and singing heart throb Leif Garret and even if the movie had had no plot, we wouldn't have noticed while swooning over all the eye candy available.

     I decided to review this book today because it is Rob Lowe's birthday. I still remember this fact from the days that I was an official member of his fan club. The posters that had hung on my wall as a teen are probably still rolled up somewhere in my mother's attic. When I saw this book on amazon it made me feel nostalgic for the days when life's main concern revolved around gossiping with my friends about cute boys and the latest pictures of our favorite heart throbs in Sixteen magazine or Teen Beat.

     Lowe gives very emotional accounts of friendships formed, and situations experienced while filming this classic movie. He seems incredibly down to earth despite the fact that he became a megastar at the age of 18. Definitely some interesting reading and the ebook was still free when I wrote this review.

I give it 3 star review graphic 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment