Monday, June 11, 2012

First Impressions - Bleak House

     I must admit that I find this book tiring. Not exactly tiresome, as in boring, the story is quite interesting in fact. This most definitely is not a light read. Just the mental translating from archaic British language to modern day Americanized English consumes plenty of brain power to exhaust my mind some days.

     Normally I can read a 3-400 page book in one day without batting an eye. I have been reading this book for 3 days and am barely 150 pages into it. I remember having trouble getting my mind into The Old Curiosity Shop as well. Although, we had a death in the family this week and my concentration isn't as it should be, which doesn't help at all.

     There are many characters in this story, I wish I had kept a cast of characters list for reference. I am finding that when I recognize a name but can't quite recall why it is familiar, I use the search feature on my Kindle to look up the character's name and reaquaint myself with the situation they had first been mentioned.

     I'm very curious to find out how this assortment of characters will end up intermixing to become one single story. So far many of the different subplots seem to have no bearing on each other besides mutual aquaintances mentioned or conversed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment