Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - From the Small Screen

     These books are a little more obscure. I had originally seen as a mini-series or made for television movie and read the book to become better acquainted with the story and/or characters.

Two words: Liam Neeson. As a teenager, it was hard to pick a favorite between Harrison Ford as Han Solo and Liam Neeson as Blackie. A Woman of Substance was Barbara Taylor Bradford's first novel and gives only a hint of the power she has to enthrall an audience. I couldn't find a book set for the trilogy, but I definitely recommend reading the entire series!

Wonderful cast of characters and talented actors and actresses that I couldn't help but draw into my imagination as I read the book as they were so well casted.

A very powerful story about an immigrant who works hard to rise to power and money and an aristocrat who was born with a spoon in his mouth as they become bitter enemies and strive towards causing the other's demise.

I didn't actually read this book, though I did TRY to. I actually read Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South which was a complete surprise as it has nothing to do with the civil war. This book is actually still in my TBR list but I've included it in this list anyhow.

Don't believe all the hype about this book? Believe it! This is one of the best stories ever written.

A story of four tight-knit women who grew up together and one young woman who knows that one of them is her mother. The question is, which one?

I'm not a big fan of romance books, but there was a time when I was young and gullible enough to believe in couples living happily ever after. The Promise is one of those timeless love stories that is a must-read.

This book has become a family favorite as it is very short and we read it every year at Christmas time.

Also a family favorite to read and watch every holiday season. You can never get too old for classics.

I'm not entirely sure if this was a made for television movie, but I remember watching it on television long before the days of cable (ugh did I just admit to being that old?). This movie is a great introduction to Agatha Christie's work and the world of Hercule Poirot.

No comments:

Post a Comment