Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton - Review

book cover art of Age of Innocence by Edith WhartonThe Age of Innocence
by Edith Wharton
Genres: Classic, Historical Fiction

     The setting is New York, sometime in the 1800's. The days when even New York had small town charm where everybody knew everybody. Though I'm not so sure that I would call it a charm, more like living in a fish bowl.

     I almost think I prefer today's neighborhoods where you smile and nod to your neighbors, maybe exchange a short conversation in passing, but have no clue about their personal lives or whatever dirty laundry they may have shut away. I know that my life would not bear up to the haughty and judgemental "society" of yesteryear.

     It was a time where people put more stock into who your relations were than what your personal beliefs were, unless they were scandalous of course. When wives belonged with their husbands, even if said husband was abusive. It seems like such a sad time because it was so closed minded and everyone modified their behavior by what was expected of them instead of what they may have wanted.

     I still don't see a whole lot of point to this story. I did finally find a plot but it was fairly inconsequential and inane. The book does give a good peek at the attitude of the day and has some merit historically.

I give it 3 star review graphic 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment