Friday, May 25, 2012

Terrene : The Hidden Valley - Pick of the Month Book Review

book cover art of Terrene The Hidden Valley by Eric LiuTerrene: The Hidden Valley
by Eric Liu
Genres: Fantasy, Science Fiction

     Flora is a 14yo with a disability. For unknown reasons, she just blacks out when over powered by emotion, be it anger, fear, or love. She lives in the lush valley of Terrene, an apocolyptic village that has thrived in the face of global warming. Flora begins to have dreams of Jane Ingram, an American biologist searching for an answer to stop global warming and the woman considered the mother of Terrene. Through this strange connection with Jane, Flora manages to pass the test to become an Institute scholar and seek the answers to her many questions.

     There is a serious plot twist at the end that leaves me speechless, as I just don't know how to put my reaction into words without giving away any surprises. I immediately texted my daughter and told her she HAD to read this book.

     Eric Liu has brilliantly combined entertainment with the ability to increase public awareness of our planet's looming destruction. Some ... well, a lot ... of the technobabble was way over my head which made some parts of the book kind of hard to wade through, but it was definitely worth the effort.

I give it 5 star review graphic 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment