Friday, May 4, 2012

Star Wars Day - Lost Tribe of the Sith - Book Review

     I know. I had said Fridays would be for reviewing monthly picks. But my brother, a huge sci-fi fan, had told me that today was proposed to be Star Wars day. As cheesy as the reasoning sounds explaining why today, the proposal was probably tongue-in-cheek and not serious. But it is hard to say for sure when there are die hard fans involved. So I decided to review a free Star Wars book that I downloaded on to my Kindle last year.

book cover art for The Lost Tribe of the Sith by John Jackson Miller Lost tribe of the Sith - Precipice
by John Jackson Miller
First book in series
Genres: Science Fiction, Action Adventure

     There are 8 books in this series. Our story begins in the year 5,000 BBY. I'm a little sketchy on my Star Wars history, but it is before the times of Luke Skywalker. It is before the days of little Anakin winning his first pod race. It is even back before Yoda was a twinkle in his mother's eye. It is the dark times when Sith were abundant.

     The lost tribe of the Sith had been headed to the colonized planet of Yavin 4, that Luke later uses for his Jedi Academy. Anyhow, this book, and I use the term loosely, was fairly disappointing. Not for lack of plot, or even bad writing. More like lack of writing. It is very short, only 37 pages. It is reminiscent of Stephen King's The Green Mile that was also published as a series of chapter books. But don't fret, all of the ebooks are free on amazon, and have been for a while, so probably not a temporary "get it while you can" sort of thing that amazon loves to do.

     I'm afraid to say too much as it wouldn't be hard to give away all of the short plot. Due to an unforseeable accident, the crew of the Omen are knocked off course as they jump into hyperdrive. Part of the ship basically dissolves as it is left behind somewhere during their warp speed travel. They crash on an unknown planet. The atmosphere is safe enough for humans, but something in the air is deadly to the warrior race of Massassi.

     It's a good start to the series, and you can buy the collection as one book, if you don't want to mess with the individual files. I must admit that I am prejudiced enough to find it hard to sympathize with a starship full of Sith. But the books are short enough that it shouldn't take long to finish the story.

May the 4th be with you!

I give it 4 star review graphic 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment