Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Formidable Task

     I have taken on the very formidable task of inputting all of my books into Goodreads. I have found yet another practical use for the Goodreads phone app. While browsing the used books at Goodwill, I'm always afraid that I will end up buying a duplicate of a book that I already own. How perfect is it that I can now enter the books ISBN number into the Goodreads app to tell whether or not I already own a book. Of course, I need to have all of my books listed in Goodreads first.

     Probably the biggest challenge to this task, is that several books predate the use of ISBN numbers. Some have a Library of Congress number, but many don't even have that. So those I will have to look up manually, I might get around to it one day. I have been limiting myself to just cataloging one shelf a day, otherwise I would be at it all day and get nothing else done.

     I think it is interesting to see how my reading interests have evolved over the years. I didn't bother cataloging the Harlequin Romance novels as it is highly doubtful that I would be looking to buy any in the future. My collection of Danielle Steele books are still in a box in the closet and were never unpacked and brought out to adorn my bookshelves. I also find it hard to believe how many books I have on my shelves that I have never read. Granted, many of them I inherited during a time in my life when I wasn't reading very much, if at all.

     So anyhow, if you follow my goodreads feed, bear with me as you will be seeing tons of books added here in the next few weeks or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment