Friday, April 6, 2012

A Wrinkle in Time - Review

A Wrinkle in Time
by Madeleine L'Engle

     My daughter actually picked this for us to read together. It has taken us close to a year to finish but is the first book that we have managed to finish before my daughter lost interest. I'm not sure if it was because SHE got to pick the book or because she had managed to find a book that she had read but I had not read yet.

     Three children face evil alien/paranormal forces to rescue two of the children's father. There is a hint of the lesson for young people that it is okay to be different, every person has his or her own strengths. You just have to find what you're good at and run with it.

     I found this book to be enjoyable and full of surprises. I did think Meg was a tad bit too whiny, abrupt, and annoying, but she is at that age where young girls tend to be so. The author splendidly combines science fiction, magic, and symbolism and comes up with an iconic book that kids, boys and girls, of all ages love and may remember fondly. I'm still trying to figure out how I'd never read it as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment