Saturday, April 14, 2012

Titanic - Pick of the Month Book Review

book cover art for Titanic - What Really Happened by Samuel WestTitanic - What Really Happened?
by Samuel West
Genres: History, Nonfiction

     I knew that the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic was in April, so I thought that this would be a great book to pick this month. Well, not all free books can be winners, I guess. I had been surprised to find that amazon no longer offered this book, but I suppose I can see why now.

     The story started out pretty good, with lots of stats and info for the boat and passengers. The author did a fairly good job of setting the scene and describing the boat, etc. He ended the first chapter with, "Brave attempts were made to stem the flow of the water, by pumping it out. Would it be enough?"

     Of course everyone knows what happened to the Titanic, so I doubt it is much of a plot spoiler to reveal that chapter 2 consisted of exactly two words, "It sank". I kid you not. This was followed by two more words, "The End".

     I'm not sure what Samuel West was playing at. I would like to give the benefit of doubt that he had truly meant to write a real book for the anniversary but ran out of time, or maybe that his first draft was accidentally published. Either way, I'm glad this book was free though it is doubtful that it was worth what I paid for it.


I give it 1 star review graphic 1 star.

No comments:

Post a Comment